5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Weird Electrical Problems

Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Default Weird Electrical Problems

For the past couple months my car's been having a retarded amount of electrical issues. It's starting to **** me off cause i can't figure out what's wrong.

My gauges (excluding tach and speedo), hatch and gas door release buttons, and windshield wipers are all screwing up on me. They only work when i first start the engine. When i turn the ignition on, none of them work. When i start the engine, all gauges and wipers and buttons start working fine. Then when i start driving, everything stops working again. Water temp, gas, and oil pressure all go to 0 and stay there. Wipers won't even click, and hatch release stops working. I have to turn the engine off, then on again for everything to start working again. Then once i start driving at all, they all stop working again. If i sit at idle everything works fine. They only stop working once i start moving.

My stereo, A/C, gauge lights, clock, warning lights, blinkers, etc everything else still work just fine. Just the stuff i listed above aren't working right.

What's going on? I checked the grounds on the back of the block and the one on the driver's side firewall. What should i try?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Did you do any work to the car at all prior to this starting? ANY work, even if it wasn't electric?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Did you do any work to the car at all prior to this starting? ANY work, even if it wasn't electric?
Well, not immediately before but i recently changed my head gaskets, fixed my brake light, and had a problem with my headlights not working unless i used my brights. I ended up just keeping my brights on all the time and changing the high beam lenses to low beams and so i wouldn't blind other people. Lazy solution, i know, but i'm so sick of dealing with a new problem every week with this car. That headlight problem could be related. i don't know.

Why though?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Ignition switch
Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 AM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
Ignition switch
But the engine still starts with the key. Wouldn't it not even start if the ignition switch was bad? ...actually now that i think about it, it's been cranking real slow sometimes lately... sometimes it cranks like normal, but real slow most of the time. Maybe the ignition switch is going bad
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I agree it is probably the ignition switch, or the wiring to it in the steering column. A lot of components are ‘allowed’ to get power based on the position of the ignition switch. However, also have the battery checked. A bad ignition switch would not cause a slow crank problem. A low or bad battery would. Check the voltage on it. It should be between 12.4 & 12.8 with the car off. If not, charge it and then try again. It would also be a good idea to take it to your local auto parts store and have them load test the battery & test the alternator. If either is bad strange electrical problems often happen.

Good luck...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

I was having similar issues on my 85 a few years ago. Some stuff would only work if the key was held in a certain spot. I changed the switch and all worked fine
The old one actually fell apart when I took of the column cover. Just to be clear we're talking about the switch itself not the lock cylinder.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Please keep us informed on this as to what fixes it.....Sounds annoying as hell to me.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
AAX86
1st Gear Member

I haven't been able to pick up a new ignition switch yet. Been messing with a bike i got about a week ago. I'll update when i get the new switch in.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AAX86
I haven't been able to pick up a new ignition switch yet. Been messing with a bike i got about a week ago. I'll update when i get the new switch in.
you do realize they are refering to the electrical portion on top of the column and not the key/lock and tumblar................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Electrical Problems