Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Sudden Loss of cold AC....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Default Sudden Loss of cold AC....

So, with just under 50K on the car and about 20K after a new engine was installed under warranty...I've had my first issue non-powertrain related.

The g/f took my car to work today and we have had ZERO issues with the AC or Heat working correctly. It has ALWAYS blown ICE cold, without fail.
The G/f reports that this morning it worked flawlessly, and this afternoon on her way home. She gets home at about 3pm and after about 10 mins, we roll out to pick my daughter up.

We stop at the gas station to get a drink and it's working great. After about 10 mins on the road we notice that the windows are fogging up and it's getting warm. The AC just suddenly stopped blowing cold. This continued for the rest of our 45 min drive and on through the entire evening.

On the 45 min drive home, I decided to turn it completely off and see if it was just too humid for the AC. About the time we get home, I try it again and...still blowing warm.

We're due for an oil change and I'm going to try and get it in tomorrow at the dealer.

Has anyone had anything similar happen on there 11-12-13 GT's (or V6 for that matter)?

I'll report anything that the dealer finds once I get it in.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Check if there is anything blocking the AC condenser (leaves, plastic bags, etc.)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I checked that this evening and didn't see anything blocking it. I also checked the coolant and the level was perfect. No issues like the car is overheating or anything. It's been really hot this past week, but with all of the rain today, the temps have been in the 70's all day today and it was almost cool outside this evening.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:53 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

My step brothers '13 GT just experienced the same thing @ 46k

Ford said it was most likely the condenser and something that "shouldn't" happen
I think they quoted him $1200
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Let us know what you find out. Just happened to my '13 Explorer with less than 10K. Can not get into next week.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Took the car in on Saturday morning. They didn't have a tech who was qualified to look at it at the time. Trying to find a time this week or next when the G/f can get some time off of work and get it in during the week. I'll keep y'all updated once I get something figured out.

Really, this SHOULD be covered under warranty...regardless of what the issue is. I have ESP so either way, THEY are going to pay for it. I am NOT footing a $1200 bill for something that "should not" happen.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

This is a problem a few different people are reporting. Here is a link over at The Mustang Source with people reporting the same thing.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...2011-a-522276/

Good luck and keep us updated.

Matthew
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Sorry. I forgot to update.

We took a day off of work last Wednesday and got them to look at it. Ended up being, not the AC clutch, but the rubber thing that attaches the clutch to the actual shaft that spins the compressor. The rubber melted, clutch was engaging and spinning, just not spinning the compressor. $100 deductible since I'm now in my ESP. They also replaced the low-pressure line b/c they thought it was leaking. (I tried to add some R134 the weekend before and it had some of that leak-detector stuff in it, and some was left on the nipple.)

AC blows cold as ever and is working great now.
Ford even replaced my rear brakes for free. (Mechanic also said that the Brembo pads are covered under ESP w/out having to pay the deductible. NOT what the Service Writer told me. I was told that a Brembo pad replacement would run about $500 a few months ago. No biggie as I already put Hawk Ceramics on two weeks ago.)

(Side note: If you ever have to add R134, the fill nipple is a PITA to get to, it's angled weird and is RIGHT next to the pass valve cover. TOTAL PITA!)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Good to know, just had this problem with my '11 that just hit 50k. At first, it would kind of not blow as cold when I open her up on the highway, but as soon as I let off and resumed cruising, all would be well. Then yesterday, out of nowhere after sitting for 10-15 minutes, I went back to the car for a 20-mile drive back home and no AC at all, and the blower seemed like it wasn't blowing nearly as well. 15 miles into the trip, it was back to normal. Today had the same issue driving around town, just not blowing cold and the blower seems like it isn't blowing as hard.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Default I'm back!

Well, almost exactly 2 years, and 75Kish miles later, (I'm at 124K now), the EXACT same thing happened again. The damn rubber isolator melted and the AC is dead. I'm obviously WAY out of warranty now. I checked on RockAuto and a new compressor is about $250. Gonna try my hand at getting the system vamped and replace the compressor myself, and then have it refilled. Anyone have any suggestions for replacing the Compressor? Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Sudden Loss of cold AC....