Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

First Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Andromeda0876

Default First Mods

Hello all,
I am new to the forums here, and fairly new to the Mustang ownership scene. I'm currently looking around as to what I want to do for my first mods on my bone stock '05 Stage 1. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steeda CAI/SCT tuner combo, BBK Twin 62 mm Throttle Body, and the Roush short throw all from American Muscle. My other option that I was looking at was the BBK Ceramic long tubes, shorty x-pipe w/ high flow cats, and the Borla Stinger cat back system. My only problem is that I don't really have a way to put on the exhaust myself, so I would have to pay someone to do it (probably looking around the $700-$1000 range), plus the exhaust set up will be almost $1800, and the previous mods for all of them, including the free tunes for life through Bama is around $1300, and I can instal all of that myself in an afternoon. I would just like any opinions and/or suggestions that anyone more experienced than me may have. Thank you for your time.

-Tyler
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty new to the Stang scene myself, I was into Jeeps for a few years then switched to my GT! I'm in the same boat as you. Personally I would do the tuner and CAI for sure, you'll need both of those to realize your full power gains from exhaust. The tuner would help you with all your future mods. Another short shifter that gets raved about here on the forums is the MGW. I'd look into that if you want a short throw just based off all the reviews and the adjustability. If I understand correctly the stage 1 kit isn't supercharged, so a throttle body wouldn't be very beneficial until you're putting down a whole lot more power. I'd put that money towards the exhaust setup you wanted, or gears are another good thing to look into! Anyways, if I'm incorrect on any of this I'm sure a more experienced member will correct me, and good luck with the Stang!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andromeda0876
Hello all,
I am new to the forums here, and fairly new to the Mustang ownership scene. I'm currently looking around as to what I want to do for my first mods on my bone stock '05 Stage 1. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steeda CAI/SCT tuner combo, BBK Twin 62 mm Throttle Body, and the Roush short throw all from American Muscle. My other option that I was looking at was the BBK Ceramic long tubes, shorty x-pipe w/ high flow cats, and the Borla Stinger cat back system. My only problem is that I don't really have a way to put on the exhaust myself, so I would have to pay someone to do it (probably looking around the $700-$1000 range), plus the exhaust set up will be almost $1800, and the previous mods for all of them, including the free tunes for life through Bama is around $1300, and I can instal all of that myself in an afternoon. I would just like any opinions and/or suggestions that anyone more experienced than me may have. Thank you for your time.

-Tyler
Welcome. First off this isn't tech so it may get moved. Second thing search, read, and learn. Many people have asked similar questions as you just have, and answers can be found with a simple search.

That being said. You need to figure out your plans for this car because you don't want to, for example, waste money on a new intake manifold if you end up getting a whipple that will replace it anyway.

Ditch the throttle body. Cai/tune is a great start, go with jlt, c&l, or steeda.
LT headers aren't super cost effective but they are a good stepping stone for future mods, and sound great. Took me about 8 hours to install. A short throw shifter is a good idea, Mgw Ftw. It all depends on how big your wallet is and how crazy you want to get. If you want the best bang for the buck power just start with a blower. Just make sure you do your research.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 AM
tremman78

I wouldn't upgrade the throttle body
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andromeda0876
Hello all,

-Tyler
Welcome to MF Tyler!

Looks like you're off to a good start mod wise. I always suggest a Bama/CAI combo package as a first mod for anyone! The power increase and free tunes for life program simply can't be beat for the cost.

You'll find there's mixed feelings with aftermarket TB's. While they don't pick up a lot of peak power, they will increase throttle response and increase power under the curve. IMO, the SR Performance TB is worth it for that reason!

Lastly, you should consider upgrading the rear differential gears. They'll make a huge difference in your acceleration! I must say, gears are one of my favorite mods too.

If you have any farther questions, feel free to contact me via PM! I'd be happy to assist you anyway possible.

Shane
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I threw my 2 cents in on the other thread. I wouldn't forget about suspension if I were you. I've had the best luck with UPR's stuff.