General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

do quarter panel window louvers make it hard to see on the s197 stangs?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 AM
zentin
Banned

Default do quarter panel window louvers make it hard to see on the s197 stangs?

i got quarter panel window louvers on my old 98 stang and i had to take them off because it greatly reduced visibility when i would look over my shoulder.

forexample, if i was at a junction like this at and angle like we have a few in our town, i almost got hit cuz i couldnt see when the other cars are coming from the angle.

so on the s197 mustangs are they designed different or better to see at an angle?

how has your visibility been with quarter panel louvers?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

They do make a huge blind spot. Had to turn my entire body and lean forward to check my blind spot. I took mine off. Siver Horse Racing makes the ones that are easiest to look back through.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I think it is intersting how the new Mustangs already have quarter glass like the first Shelbys did which, as far as I'm concerned, is a great improvement but so many people choose to cover this glass with louvers so as to look more like the old work-a-day Mustangs instead of the Shelbys.

Add that to the list of things that makes me scratch my butt and blink.

I found the cure for the big blindspot on my Fastback was to put a fish-eye on my passenger side mirror. That, coupled with a lot of head bobbing and weaving to get a good view of what's over my right shoulder.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
zentin
Banned

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
I think it is intersting how the new Mustangs already have quarter glass like the first Shelbys did which, as far as I'm concerned, is a great improvement but so many people choose to cover this glass with louvers so as to look more like the old work-a-day Mustangs instead of the Shelbys.

Add that to the list of things that makes me scratch my butt and blink.

I found the cure for the big blindspot on my Fastback was to put a fish-eye on my passenger side mirror. That, coupled with a lot of head bobbing and weaving to get a good view of what's over my right shoulder.
right on, so the new GT's that come with quarter louvers, can you take off the factory lovers? is there glass/window behind the factory quarter louvers?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zentin
right on, so the new GT's that come with quarter louvers, can you take off the factory lovers? is there glass/window behind the factory quarter louvers?
Yes.

I like the louvers myself. That 1/4 glass is basically useless in my eyes.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I agree...the quarter louvers look nice. I just need to break down and get a set. I use my mirrors and never count on seeing out those little windows. Even been known to actually turn the car as I stop to get a good view. Even looking out the quarter....a motorcycle can be missed.......
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
kennyw

I am glad I have the quarter windows. It makes my 2013 Mustang much easier to drive in heavy traffic than my 2010 Camaro. That plus the side mirrors come with spot mirrors built into them.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 AM
besandy

Originally Posted by Ricardo
They do make a huge blind spot. Had to turn my entire body and lean forward to check my blind spot. I took mine off. Siver Horse Racing makes the ones that are easiest to look back through.
I love the SHR louvers, I think they are the best. I am however worroed about pulling my 2013 apart to put them in forr freaa of leaking and cutting the panel. The instructions are very good but I think it might be beyond my comfort level to install...any suggestions on a pro who might want to?