Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Spring Saddle Bushings

Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy Spring Saddle Bushings

Finished my rear leaf springs about a week ago - WITH YOUR HELP!!! A couple hours ago I was greasing the front end and noticed that the coil spring saddle bushings need to be replaced. I know I'll have to buy a spring compressor. How much more or less difficult and involved is this job compared to the leaf springs I just did? And, what might happen if one of those bushings gave way while I'm driving?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I would say it is easier than the leaf springs, provided that your leaf spring bolts didn't give you a ton of trouble (some people have to cut the bolts). For me the leaf spring bushings were a complete pain to get in given how snug they were.

If my memory is correct, once you remove the front shock and spring with a compressor, the spring saddle will be right there on top of the control arm. Undo those two(?) bolts and you can replace it.

Rather than replacing the bushings, get roller spring perches instead as they are well worth it. I would also consider doing the shelby drop (which is a little more involved) since you'll have the springs out.

http://opentrackerracingproducts.com/rollerperch/

If your spring perch bushings are bad, you should also inspect the control arm bushings, they might be bad as well.

Last edited by 4reboy; 08-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

are you planning on lowering springs?? what i did with my 65 was leave the shock in place and i just cut a couple of coils on each side then i removed the shock and the coil fell out in pieces. the new 620 coils went in without the need of a spring compressor
Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
I would say it is easier than the leaf springs, provided that your leaf spring bolts didn't give you a ton of trouble (some people have to cut the bolts). For me the leaf spring bushings were a complete pain to get in given how snug they were.

If my memory is correct, once you remove the front shock and spring with a compressor, the spring saddle will be right there on top of the control arm. Undo those two(?) bolts and you can replace it.

Rather than replacing the bushings, get roller spring perches instead as they are well worth it. I would also consider doing the shelby drop (which is a little more involved) since you'll have the springs out.

http://opentrackerracingproducts.com/rollerperch/

If your spring perch bushings are bad, you should also inspect the control arm bushings, they might be bad as well.
OK, thanks. Doesn't sound NEAR as bad as those leaf springs were!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
are you planning on lowering springs?? what i did with my 65 was leave the shock in place and i just cut a couple of coils on each side then i removed the shock and the coil fell out in pieces. the new 620 coils went in without the need of a spring compressor
Not gonna lower.......will be replacing stock. Thanks though for the reply.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:09 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

even so you can still cut the old spring then you only have to worry with the compressor once
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

I know I'll have to buy a spring compressor.
Most auto parts store will rent you a spring compressor for cheap.
My local Advance Auto Parts store will even let you use it for free (deposit required).
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

I'll check that out. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

If your spring perch bushings are bad, you should also inspect the control arm bushings, they might be bad as well.[/QUOTE]

How do you remove the control arm bushings?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Boogie's_AutoRama
1st Gear Member

The upper A-arm bushings are a solid metal-to-metal contact. They don't wear out as often as the lower.

After you get the spring out, just grab the upper arm and see if you can wiggle it. It should have a (kinda) firm up and down motion but no side-to-side.
The upper bushings thread out. Been a while since I did one but I'm pretty sure there is a left & right hand threaded bushing (one or the other one each side).

The lower bushing is a piece of cake to swap out. It's in there with a light press, knock it out with a hammer.
Keep an eye on your lwr control arm though. You don't want it to collapse while your bangin' on it. I've stuck a block of wood, socket, ex-wife's pictures, etc. in there to maintain the spacing.

Actually, on the ones in my '66, I've welded in a small plate across the bottom that boxes in the whole inner part of the lwr arm. Easy mod if you have a MIG and makes the lwr arm quite a bit tougher than stock.

I'm sure there are youtube vids out there that show the whole thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Saddle Bushings