Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drive Yours in Snow Country All Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Default Drive Yours in Snow Country All Winter?

I drive mine year round here in Wisconsin. With Automatic, 4 Blizzak's and 2 - 50lb salt bags in the trunk, it is unbeatable. Boy, I'm sure I get the looks. Other peoples eye's must pop out when passing them by or taking off from a stop light. This car cruises in snow season. It gets the Automatic car wash with turning mechanisms year round. It gets exterior, Fire Glaze+ treatment once a year.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are tons of threads on this. The youngsters on the forum that haven't had the opportunity to drive too many other vehicles in bad weather have little to compare. For those of us with over 30-40 years of winter driving under our belts (before getting smart and moving south) and too many vehicles that were driven during those winters to name, we have a pretty good perspective on which properly equipped vehicles excel where others just get by. So, based on the fact that I've driven my Mustang in snow as well as my wife's, as well as many other sedans, sports cars, SUV's, etc., my opinion is the Stang just gets by compared to other vehicles. Yes, you can put snow tires on it and weight it down but you still have to rely on roads that have been plowed. Try taking your Stang out in hill country where there's a fresh 8" or more snowfall with unplowed roads and THEN tell me what a great car it is. It'll be the OTHER guys with some road clearance that are passing YOU by. I've seen way too many over confident sports car drivers waving for help with their prized possession wrapped around a tree or in a ditch.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I drive mine in snow here in Colorado, though not often. I've even had it on muddy roads. Aside from lack of traction from the rear tires, it drives just like any other rear wheel drive vehicle. I rarely put my pickup in four wheel drive, so I figure if ground clearance isn't an issue, I can drive on just about anything.
That being said, if the roads are slick, I usually leave the Mustang sitting at home.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i dont drive mine if there's a single cloud in the sky
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Default Too Funny!

Reply:
Four 4 years I drove my Stang 110 per day 90% interstate in unplowed interstate with the 10% on county unplowed roads. Four to eight inches was not uncommon whether interstate or county for those 4 years....my friend. Nothing was going to stop my tank with 4 Blizzak snow tires and weight in my trunk. These tires were also terrific in slush 3-4 inches deep on Wisconsin I43 daily for 4 years. I just purchased a new set of Blizzaks for use in and around town or anywhere else I might want to go. Been retired for the past 4 years+ . I should have been more specific in my original comment.

Sorry if I upset someone for starting another thread on driving the Stang in the snow season. It is always enjoying one's comments/opinions/knowledge.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Never in snow just never
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
aaaa1236
1st Gear Member

Stock tires and 200 lbs of sand in the rear (100 in trunk and 100 in back seat)
Had no more problems than my taurus or bonneville, although i will be purchasing snow tires this time, stock tires are getting worn.

Also, my road does not even get salted, only an occasional plow comes by after a heavy snow and everywhere else is cleared.

P.s. Its too soon to be talking about snow driving, I just want to enjoy whats left of the decent weather

Last edited by aaaa1236; 08-10-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I've seen way too many over confident sports car drivers waving for help with their prized possession wrapped around a tree or in a ditch.

According to Colorado Department of Highways, 3/4 of the cars that run off the road are 4wd trucks and suvs, when they only make up less than 20% of the cars on the road!

My Stang is my daily ride and I drive through what ever Snow Country USA throws at me. Drive when and where you want, the Stang isn't holding you back.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
i dont drive mine if there's a single cloud in the sky
GOT THAT RIGHT!!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

I used to drive my gt in the snow and never had any problems. Michelin X-Ice's took care of the traction issue.

Quick Reply: Drive Yours in Snow Country All Winter?