Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Sounds, Need help....

Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Default Weird Sounds, Need help....

Hey everyone,

So recently my 2007 Stang with 98,xxx miles on it has been emitting some weird sounds. It has been happening for about 4 months now but I have been way to busy with work and traveling to take it to get looked at....

I have three weird sounds and they are as follows:

1. This is the most prominent and annoying. It happens every time I press the brakes and it doesn't matter how much brake pressure. The more break pressure the more sound. It happens only on speeds below 10mph. It is a loud squeeky sound coming from the front end brake area. If at a light or something when I let off the brakes it makes the sound. Also, when in park if I pump the brakes it makes the sound. I have attached a video clip of it below.
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/stev...5c970.mp4.html

2. When turning to the left only at low speeds there is a rubbing sound. The best way I can describe it is the sound of a hand saw cutting through wood. The sound does not happen when I make low speed right turns.

3. About a month ago I was going to get a new Mustang. Went to different dealerships and one I got into serious negotiations. They wanted to check my car over to determine a trade in value. The dealer got into my car with me and turned it on and checked everything out. He then in park turned the wheel from all the way left to all the way right. When doing so towards the right there was a slight pop sound. He said something about taking money off the trade in because it could be something wrong with the steering. Anyways, I didn't like their offer so I am waiting for the 2015's...but since he pointed out that sound I now am worried about it. And yes I can replicate the sound.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Check the rotors on the left hand side, possibly the ball joints.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
Check the rotors on the left hand side, possibly the ball joints.
Which sound would that address? 1,2,or 3?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

1) when was the last time and what mileage was brakes service done?

2) When you look down at the caliper when the brake is depressed can you "see" pad movement?

3) Is it something you hear on just one side or both front wheels?

Having driven my previous Stang with some of the same symptoms....With nothing in motion and the vehicle at a standstill this noise could be due to a worn front wheel bearing. The wear puts the wheel at a slight offset and the brakes can make this noise occur when depressed because the calipers are pulling the roter on the worn bearing. It would be very slight and hardly noticable but there is a flex there and the sound could be the bearing flexing on the wheel axle. When you're making a turn you could hear it since the wheel will pitch when turning and put pressure on the worn bearing. Also with the motor running while parked you can turn the wheel and hear a pop if there is a worn bearing...

If you can put the front end on jack stands and physically grab the wheel and try to shake it with the steering column locked (turn steering wheel until it locks) and see if there is a lot of "play" in either front wheel then its likely a wheel bearing. Which would require replacing both the inner and outer bearings.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

^ I had the same problem with an old pickup. It was a piece of junk so I gave it away Nothing on it was worth fixing.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Steveo555....

If it is a wheel bearing then its a real simple do it your self repair. You can simply buy the whole wheel axle assembly with the bearing intact and swap both the passenger and driver sides. if you do one you might as well do both. The parts should cost around $50 each side with new Axle Nut and pin. should take maybe 30 to 40 minutes each side to do the work. If you're a DIY'er.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

So due to time constraints I chose to take it to the dealer. They took a day to look it over and called me back with the damage report. They said the noise is coming from a combination of the following (prices include labor and parts):
1. Loose front brake caliper bolts - $190
2. Worn out front tie rods - $250
3. Realignment - $150 (highly recommended since new tie rods)
4. Worn out front lower control arms $1,400

I ended up going with 1, 2, & 3 for a grand total of about $590. I asked them to knock off the $75 initial fee to bring it down to $515.

Ok, so they do the work and call me back today to say they did it and the noise is still there. The lead mechanic now recommends all new brake calipers. I am like that is too expensive and NO I am not doing that. So they say they will look it over to make sure it is safe to drive on the road...About 6 hours later they call me and let me know it is done and road worthy.

So now I am wondering if the cars turns out to not have the sound then they were just trying to up charge me since I didn't want to fix the lower control arms. But if the sound is still in fact there then they were correct in that I need new front calipers?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Not the same car but, I had an Accord that, when stopping, it made some weird sounds in the front. Also, when turning the wheel, parked, it made odd sounds as well. Since the car was a POS, I didn't really care. It got worse and worse until one day, driving 70mph down the highway.. BOOM.. whole car is vibrating like a ****, it feels like someones beating on the floorboard under my feet with a hammer and its going boom,boom,boom. I pull off the road thinking i had flat tires or something. No idea really. Nope, all good. So, to be safe I had it towed home since I was still about 30 miles out.
After looking it over and getting advice, it ended up being the CV joint. I'd look into that. It's a cheap part on a Mustang, not so much on an Accord.