Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Grinding / Rubbing sound from front end while turning left

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Default Grinding / Rubbing sound from front end while turning left

I looked around on here and only found one thread for the older model Mustangs pertaining to noise while turning. So when I'm driving and make a left turn, out of a parking lot or a u-turn, sometimes I hear a sound like the tire rubbing on the inner fender plastic. Since my wheels are stock and my tires are one size over stock, I checked all under the front end and there are no signs of anything rubbing. Took it to a friend who is a mechanic, put it up on a lift and found nothing that would cause that noise. He checked the calipers,pads, slack in the bearings, etc. and the only thing that was a bit worn was a inner tie rod, but even that is not bad enough to change yet. There was some slack in the upper strut bearings but still that would not cause the noise. So my question is: I've noticed my power steering level is below the two lines on the reservoir and I'm thinking that taking left turns with enough lateral force is causing the power steering to suck in air instead of fluid. I should also add that I get the power steering growl left and right at almost fully turned to the steering stops on the control arms. I know you are not supposed to hold it to the stops as it can cause pump damage but I'm thinking that is what I' hearing. I can also feel light vibrations through the steering wheel when it happens.

That's just a guess since that appears to be the only thing I can find. Going to fill it tonight and see but just wanted to throw the question out there to the other V6 owners to see if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Let us know!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I owned a Pontiac Grandam along time ago, and experienced the rubbing sound when turning right. If I recall correctly, the wheel bearings were shot.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Rack and Pinion steering does not have an "inner tie rod end".
Just an outer tie rod end on either side for a total of 2.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=128&viewfil...g%20System.pdf

You are not creating enough 'G's to be sucking air at or just below the 'ADD' mark.

One size bigger in relation to the stock 215/65R16?
Bigger taller?
Bigger wider?
What size actually?
XXX/XXR16?

If they were rubbing, they would be rubbing like
the pics show.
btw, those are 275/40-18s on a V6 with slight rub but
who turns lock to lock anyhow? the turning radius is so tight
on these v6 S197s that the ends of the steering travel should
never be reached during normal everyday driving...
Attached Thumbnails Grinding / Rubbing sound from front end while turning left-18srub.jpg   Grinding / Rubbing sound from front end while turning left-18srub2.jpg   Grinding / Rubbing sound from front end while turning left-18s2.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 11-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Rack and Pinion steering does not have an "inner tie rod end".
Just an outer tie rod end on either side for a total of 2.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=128&viewfil...g%20System.pdf

You are not creating enough 'G's to be sucking air at or just below the 'ADD' mark.

One size bigger in relation to the stock 215/65R16?
Bigger taller?
Bigger wider?
What size actually?
XXX/XXR16?

If they were rubbing, they would be rubbing like
the pics show.
btw, those are 275/40-18s on a V6 with slight rub but
who turns lock to lock anyhow? the turning radius is so tight
on these v6 S197s that the ends of the steering travel should
never be reached during normal everyday driving...
I'm running Yokohama Avid Envigors 235/60 16 on the stock wheels. Checked on a rack, no evidence of rubbing on either side. Thanks for the pdf link. It looks like Ford changed the rack over the years as they used to have an inner ball inside the rack that was a pain to get to and change. Had one on my '76 but then again that's a 31 year difference. Took the car on a 500 mile trip running around 75 MPH most of the way and have not heard the noise since. Funny thing is I would hear it when I first started driving the car either leaving for work in the morning or leaving to come back home. I'll keep looking as any noise, rattle, squeak and the like bugs the mess out of me.
If I find out what it is, I'll be sure to post it.