Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which tires should I get? need help

Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

Question Which tires should I get? need help

As the title states, I'm looking for tires and winter is coming...

My plan is to go for all seasons and I have been perfectly happy with the oem pirelli's unfortunately no one stocks them around me and I don't have the time to wait for them to be shipped in. The car is a v6 pony package with 50,000 miles and I'm not a professional driver so I don't need anything special but I would like to at least keep the same performance and handling as the pirelli zero nero if not better.

I got some quotes from local shops and this is what they told me:

Cooper cs4 touring - $620

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - $610

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S - $790

What do you guys think/recommend? Suggestions? Other tires to consider?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd go with a dedicated winter tire for you location. AS's suck when you really need traction and dedicated winter tires are hands-down 10 times better than AS's. Just get a set of dedicated winter wheels sometime later and swap the winter tires over to them.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM
mustang green skin
2nd Gear Member

The current tires are down to the wear bands and I've driven several winters with my current all-season tires and have been just fine. Maybe snows are that much better but I need an all-season replacement for now. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In that case, I'd use the rating info on tirerack.com for tires in any given category. AS tires are simply a trade-off in characteristics. After spending thousands of dollars on your ride, it's silly to quibble over a couple of hundred that can easily help keep it out of the body shop.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

forgo the winter tires and get a cheapo 4x4 winter driver

best of both worlds

stangs just no go even with the best super duper winter tires..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

HUGE mistake with All Season Tires for snow driving......LONG story short for a Mustang. I also put two 50 lb water softener bags in the trunk. But....to each his own. Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM
jlbell4444

This is my first winter with my 2012 Mustang GT Brembo and I put Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245 45 19s on. They are performing great in our Michigan Winter. Ive had several snows up to 6 inches and with the 140 lbs of kitty litter in the trunk they perform great. I am now confident i can continiue to use the Mustang as my DD through the entire winter. I will take them off in the early spring and use them as my winter tire. The Blizzaks work great Ive had a pair but mine wore out in one winter. I paid $660 for the set through the Ford dealers sale for what its worth.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlbell4444
The Blizzaks work great Ive had a pair but mine wore out in one winter. I paid $660 for the set through the Ford dealers sale for what its worth.
I wonder if you kept 38-40psi in them or what most people think that UNDER inflating is better in winter for ANY tire?

The Blizzaks on my 06 went through the first 3 winters or 5 mo/yr or total 32,000 miles. The last 5 years, being retired approx. an additional 6200 miles. One of the years, I drove 12 months on the Blizzak's. This past summer, I bought new replacement Blizzak's with some miles still left on them + new summer Firestones.

That is my story and I approve.

Last edited by teetertotter; 12-30-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added some words
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

WARNING!!! stay away from the CS4's I put them on my wifes suv after the oem's were due to change and went with CS4 and what a pile of junk tires. they were very noisy and rated at 60k miles and at 30k they were worn and cupping and thumped. her alighnment was perfect and Cooper would not even reply to any of my request. the dealer where I got replacements said Coopers were always junk. I replaced with the same as the oem's(Goodyear Fortera) and since put 25k and hardly any wear and wearing perfectly even. and yes I rotate at 5k always.size was 255/65-18 hope this helped. Eagles are always a good choice but soft so not a real high mileage tire but a very good performing tire.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTgeezer;8328656
WARNING!!! stay away from the CS4's I put them on my wifes suv after the oem's were due to change and went with CS4 and what a pile of junk tires. they were very noisy and rated at 60k miles and at 30k they were worn and cupping and thumped. her alighnment was perfect and Cooper would not even reply to any of my request.
Ditto, I bought for replacement on our then 07 GMC Acadia. After 10,000 miles, I wrote Cooper. Long story short, the Independent dealer I bought from, said to bring my car in for Cooper Credit and select a different mfg tire. Cooper wanted the tires back for evaluation. That was 3 years ago. They did have terrific CS for me.
I even talked with one of Coopers Engineers. It took 2 weeks to resolve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which tires should I get? need help