Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
My 2014 Brembo GT was built in 6 of 2013 so I believe I wont be able to get the key, just the tune which is controlled via the instrument cluster? ....I'm very interested! Also, it mentions better full-throttle fuel control so one would think it would actually gain better hp numbers?
The Ford Racing Parts tech folks told me back in January that there would be no increase in horsepower.
Correct on no actual key for your car. The tune is installed and runs that way all the time.
Folks that get the key can turn the tune on and off by changing from the red key back to the stock key.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by todcp
The Ford Racing Parts tech folks told me back in January that there would be no increase in horsepower.
Correct on no actual key for your car. The tune is installed and runs that way all the time.
Folks that get the key can turn the tune on and off by changing from the red key back to the stock key.

The way I read it the tune will always be there but the options will be controlled through the instrument cluster? I can see how this can be misinterpreted. I would imagine that the accessibility through the cluster would allow to turn on/off or change the aggressiveness of the tune? ..hmmm. I would also bet that peak horsepower is increased at full throttle and throughout the rpm band. I would like to see before and after dyno numbers.

Here is the entire article with the areas in question highlighted.....

Source: http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...4204-mgttc.htm

How do I purchase and activate the Track Key Software?
Purchase this item for the software license on our website.
We will send the Procal Voucher to you.
You will use the Procal Voucher form to register at www.fordracingparts.com and supply Ford Racing with your address, VIN, and PCM part number. Ford Racing will send you a pre-programmed Procal Tool with the Trackey software via UPS Next Day Air to your address.
Complete installation by following the instructions included with the Procal Tool. For warranty compliance, this step must be done by any local Ford dealer. If warranty compliance is not a concern then you can do this yourself.
Ford recommends that you be charged about 1 hour for labor but some dealers charge for more time than others. The dealer is instructed in the paperwork to contact the Tech Center to register the installation with Ford for your vehicle's warranty records.
The various Trackey features are controlled through your instrument cluster. To make this work on all 2013-2014 Mustang GT manual transmission cars, you will not be receiving keys. The trackey software will always be in the PCM and will always be working regardless of the key you are using. The 2013 and early 2014 cars have instrument clusters that are not compatible with the Trackey switching so Ford Racing did a workaround using the Procal tool.
Track Key Warranty Details
Track Key Warranty Details
INSTALLATION AND USAGE SPECIFICALLY DOES NOT VOID THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY

NOTE: THE TRACKEY SOFTWARE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY AFTERMARKET SOFTWARE OR THE FORD RACING M-9603-MGTB/M-FR1-MGTB PROCAL TUNE!
IF YOU HAVE PARTS ON YOUR CAR THAT REQUIRE AN AFTERMARKET TUNE OR A SUPERCHARGER OR TURBO KIT THIS TRACKEY TUNE WILL NOT OVERLAY OR BE INSTALLED CONCURRENTLY ON THE PCM. INSTALLING THE TRACKEY SOFTWARE WILL REPLACE WHATEVER WAS ON THE PCM BEFORE.

Track Key is a 50 state emission legal aftermarket engine performance software upgrade for the 2013-2014 Mustang GT. It is not compatible with any other model year vehicle.

Recommended Installation/Labor Time: 1 hour. (Some dealers charge more than others)

Track Key has been designed to optimize your 2013-2014 Mustang GT Manual Transmission car for track use and uses many of the same software algorithms and features employed in some of our Ford Racing turn-key race cars, such as the Boss 302R, Boss 302S, and Cobra Jet. In addition, Track Key also allows you to maintain the smooth driveability of the production car just by switching ignition keys.

After the Trackey software is installed using the Procal Tool, many engine control characteristics are changed to be more suitable for track use. These include:

Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (TiVCT)
Engine braking
Ignition timing
Wide-Open Throttle fueling
Accelerator pedal map
Idle speed
Throttle response
In addition, the following Ford Racing unique features are added to the vehicle abilities:

Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
Lopey idle (idle is as lopey as possible while still being 50 state emissions legal)
"From an engine management standpoint, Ford Racing has done just about everything possible to give Track Key users a full race car experience," explains Jeff Seaman, Mustang powertrain engineer. "Its not intended for use on the street for example, the deceleration is set up to preserve the brakes, and the throttle response is very aggressive. A skilled driver on a closed course will really appreciate the benefits."

As part of the Track Key software package, Ford engineers also devised a launch control feature similar to that used on the Cobra Jet race car. Using a combination of steering wheel buttons, drivers can set the tachometer needle to a desired launch rpm. Floor the throttle and the engine will rev to the preset rpm until the clutch is released, helping aid acceleration and vehicle control from a standing start.

Hundreds of changes
The Track Key PCM software, adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control, throttle response and other engine parameters more than 600 in total to provide a complete race car calibration. The result is an aggressive, race-bred driving experience all the way down to the lopey idle rumbling the exhaust. It is not compatible to any other model year Mustang.

"Anything that could possibly affect all-out performance is deleted from the Track Key calibration," said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. "Throttle limiting and torque management and any daily drivability enhancements are removed and replaced with a pure Ford Racing competition calibration."

NOTE: THE TRACKEY SOFTWARE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY AFTERMARKET SOFTWARE OR THE FORD RACING M-9603-MGTB/M-FR1-MGTB PROCAL TUNE!
IF YOU HAVE PARTS ON YOUR CAR THAT REQUIRE AN AFTERMARKET TUNE OR A SUPERCHARGER OR TURBO KIT THIS TRACKEY TUNE WILL NOT OVERLAY OR BE INSTALLED CONCURRENTLY ON THE PCM. INSTALLING THE TRACKEY SOFTWARE WILL REPLACE WHATEVER WAS ON THE PCM BEFORE.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 04-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know how it will work with the "MyKey" option if at all?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:30 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

All I know is what was copied and pasted above. Plus the comment when I called the tech folks at Ford Racing Parts, in January, that there will not be a horsepower increase from the stock 420. I hope that changed as they worked on this more as back in January they also told me there would not be a track tune for the earlier cars and clearly they found a way to allow the earlier cars to install the tune. Note though that it is clear to me from this literature that the tune cannot be turned off and on unless you have the later car with the red key.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Any news?????
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bwkelley76
Any news?????
Not shipping yet as of last Thursday. Neither the dealer nor the folks at Ford Racing Parts could confirm a shipping date. They could only confirm the part number.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM
SterlingGrayTrackPack'14

First post and letting everyone know I have just ordered the Track Key from FRPP for my newly ordered 2014 GT premium with Track Package. Hope this gets shipped by the 19th of May when I go pick up the car. Zero miles and already modding
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM
2011GTBobby

Question: I have a 2014 GT Track Pack and I want to purchase the Track Key.
How do I know what date my car was built? I'm hoping it was after 7/1/2014 so I can get the red key...
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Your build date is inside the drivers door next to the tire pressures. FRRP confirmed my car via the serial number when I ordered my ProCal and I imagine they will do the same for the Track Key.
Mine is 8/13.
If your date is earlier you can still install the tune but will not be able to turn it on and off with the keys.
I ordered mine on April 7. Someone on another site said their key has shipped but no one has yet posted that they have one in hand yet.

Last edited by todcp; 05-18-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-24-2014, 10:41 PM
slarson

Default not yet?

I have been waiting also for one of these keys, but have been told thru my sources that it my not actually be shipped until mid to late summer. So not sure if Ford is holding it back so some of the parts houses are just jumping the gun and collecting money months early??

Quick Reply: 2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA