Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys will never agree, lol.
It's just that you two favor or dislike different part of the car due to subjectivity/taste.
One part of the car will please someone and another person will hate it.

When the S197 came out, I liked the whole car on a general level until I saw the truck mirrors.
I was like: WTF?!?! Can't be the same stylist that came up with those.
They come up with something totally retro and someone slap F150 mirrors on it!!
The flat huge hood and the rear bumper bulkiness (taken to an all new level in 2010) also annoyed me somewhat but overall that could never be a deal breaker...

The closest thing to an Aston Martin look wise and from the front, is still the Fusion.
I'm saying this because we just bought one for zee wife and she so happyyy with this car
Oh and yes, I'm modding this thing as soon as I get some kind of sketch in my head.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM
kyledugan07gt

The independent rear suspension. Most everyone on this forum has loved their Mustang and its solid rear end in spite of what the critics say. The independent rear never stopped us from owning/building some bad ***, fast as hell stangs. I feel like the Independent rear was just put in to appease the critics rather than give Mustang faithful what they want in a car. And these same critics who have put down the Mustang for years aren't going to suddenly show up at the dealerships to buy them. I have a theory that the critics only put down the Mustang because often they need to justify the hefty price tag they pay for a Porche, Corvette, BMW, etc.

I have no problem with the performance characteristics of IRS, but it does come with an increased in price, and it takes away some of the Mustang's blue collar affordability and charm. The mustang was always a little raw around the edges, and that was always part of the attraction for me. You could buy them for cheap and then mod them to your heart's content if you so desired. I feel like now they are just a little too sophisticated for their own good. Its like walking into your favorite burger joint and finding out that they replaced a sandwich you love with a veggie burger.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Well, if the claims are true and the standard GT will out handle the out going boss. I might learn to like veggie burgers.Going fast in a straight line is great. Going fast anywhere you want without having to buy suspension mods is better!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyledugan07gt
The independent rear suspension. Most everyone on this forum has loved their Mustang and its solid rear end in spite of what the critics say. The independent rear never stopped us from owning/building some bad ***, fast as hell stangs. I feel like the Independent rear was just put in to appease the critics rather than give Mustang faithful what they want in a car. And these same critics who have put down the Mustang for years aren't going to suddenly show up at the dealerships to buy them. I have a theory that the critics only put down the Mustang because often they need to justify the hefty price tag they pay for a Porche, Corvette, BMW, etc.

I have no problem with the performance characteristics of IRS, but it does come with an increased in price, and it takes away some of the Mustang's blue collar affordability and charm. The mustang was always a little raw around the edges, and that was always part of the attraction for me. You could buy them for cheap and then mod them to your heart's content if you so desired. I feel like now they are just a little too sophisticated for their own good. Its like walking into your favorite burger joint and finding out that they replaced a sandwich you love with a veggie burger.
You sort of have a point that only holds up if you intend to keep the car stock or really only care about straight line performance.

After that your point sort of falls apart.

You see many of the buyers of the stangs with the Live Axles.... throw a lot of modifications at it... with the ultimate upgrade ending in a Watts Link combined with UCA's and LCA's, Coilovers or Air-lifts baggin it and for many even adding spacers for a slightly wider stance.

All in an effort to get what they have ...an LRS to behave more like an IRS.

The funny thing is the Falcons which are really the sedan variant of our 5.0's from down under. Had an IRS coupled with our coyote engine for a bit before Ford closed production down under. And that was an affordable car.

If you also consider...once your vehicle is rolling....the efficient aerodynamics combined with the upgraded powerplant, wider stance and better handling will possibly make for a better experience out the box than having to mod an s197 to make it act that way. Even with the added 80+ lbs on the s550 GT.

Just saying
---
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Waitwaitwaitwait! Y'all are complaining the new Mustang has a touch of Aston Martin in the design? That's like saying I like such and such girl but she looks a bit like Emma Watson.
Name:  5Nj7gXv.gif
Views: 17
Size:  443.9 KB
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyledugan07gt

The S197 Mustangs have a tremendous amount of handling potential even without IRS. Proof is in the handling mods that autocrossers do to pull out that potential today. There are members in here who have outperformed even Corvettes in S197s in autocross times.

Stock for stock, even the Boss, Ford really held back in tapping that S197 handling potential.
Fortunately, the aftermarket industry stepped up where Track Pack failed miserably: beating the competition such as Beamers and other cars costing over $10K more. Even GT500s and Bosses can see tremendous handling improvements by upgrading the stock suspension equipment.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Well, if the claims are true and the standard GT will out handle the out going boss. I might learn to like veggie burgers.Going fast in a straight line is great. Going fast anywhere you want without having to buy suspension mods is better!
With the S550, there will always be much more room to pull out much better handling.

MM&FF was the one that said the S550 GT will outhandle the S197 Boss, but MM&FF was not fully correct. FoMoCo later added that the S550 GT Performance Pack would beat the S197 Boss in handling. Unfortunately, just the plain S550 GT or plain GT Premium will not do that stock.

It's still a step in the right direction; the S197 Performance Packs were a joke because Ford focused too much on NVH instead of sacrificing some of that NVH requirement for more handling.
Sure the Brembos are great and Performance Pack suspension is still an upgrade over the plain S197 GT, but there was still too much handling sacrifice just to make even the Performance Pack a daily driver.
Again, the aftermarket industry saved us and offered superior suspension upgrade parts as compare to the factory Performance Pack suspension. Too further add to that benefit, the aftermarket suspension upgrade parts are no more expensive than the Performance Pack price increase.

With a handling potential bar being significantly raised in the S550 chassis, the aftermarket industry is sure to pull out even more from this new generation of Mustang.
Ford no doubt will begin to take shots at Chevy's 5th Gen Camaro Z/28 for superior handling; possibly even taking shots at Corvette.
I would love to see possibly a S550 Boss that puts down track times that rival the Z/28 or even beats it. There won't need to be a Laguna Seca Boss, a Boss Nurburgering trim would be on order!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akiba17
Waitwaitwaitwait! Y'all are complaining the new Mustang has a touch of Aston Martin in the design? That's like saying I like such and such girl but she looks a bit like Emma Watson.
Ironically, I don't find Emma Watson that attractive. LOL
Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Oh Emma?......

Its like a parallel to the s197 transition into an s550.

She's all growed up.

Some would say even sexy.

Just gotta love when the kids grow into themselves with full tilt swag...

Just saying
---
Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Great decision of going with the IRS, will like to see that FORD allow us to have the sport package with the automatic transmission.
Will like to see that the GT is able to beat on the track the Camaro 1LE, and that the GT350 is able to beat the Corvette Stingray (& Z06), & The Camaro Z28 & ZL1.
And that FORD for the first time posts their NURBURGRING lap times.
I like the side & top view of this car, but front & back not convinced versus the prior mustangs.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?