Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need some advice? Build or wait for 2015?

Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Default Need some advice? Build or wait for 2015?

Hello folks, to make a long story short my little brother is going to start driving pretty soon and I was thinking of giving him my 2006 Mustang GT. My older brother just picked up a 2011 5.0 and wow the power is just amazing. I live in California, and I got a smog hookup so that isn't an issue, but i'm just confused on what I should do. These are my current options;

1) Save up, hand the 2006 mustang gt to my little brother and buy a 2015 Mustang 5.0
2) Save up, rebuild my motor with Ford Racing CNC Port & Polished heads w/ hotrod cams.
3) Save up, supercharge and enjoy 9lbs of boost and have 450rwhp but suffer by not being able to run more hp on the stock motor.

I really want to just coyote swap my car but the $7,000+ i'm going to spend makes me just want to buy a 2015 Mustang GT.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm about to be 19 and I busted my *** to get this car, and my older brother just tells me to build it, as it's my first car i've ever bought and would be nice to see it get built up. The car only has 40,000 miles, and it's black with red interior which is pretty sweet, but i'm loving his coyote motor and the great potential they have. If I were to do a build on my car, what can I do to get up to 450+ rwhp safely. My cousin told me I can run more boost with e85 if I supercharged?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Dude, you're only 19. Don't put yourself in a financial hole so early in life. It's a domino effect. Save the money.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Dude, you're only 19. Don't put yourself in a financial hole so early in life. It's a domino effect. Save the money.
I'm already saving money bro. I got my own accounts that I gain interest on a nice stack of cash and don't touch, plus i'm also pitching in with the fam to buy a house.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I would make friends at the local performance shop and then save up for a low compression forged 4.6 motor. I say 4.6 because you can use the stock heads, maybe throw in a supercharger grind cam and then save up for a supercharger kit

If I had to do it over, I would have done that. I went with a blower first, started at 8 psi, then 10, then 12 and over boosted blowing my motor up. Power is never enough, especially when you first experience it. Kinda like getting laid lol

If you have the patience to stick to a long term build, I would go that route (forged), then blown. Power wise, I think high boost can make 600-650+ whp depending on the blower and tune on a forged motor.

The new 5.0 is amazing but imagine blowing it up and trying to replace it. I replaced a 08 4.6 with an 07 for $1,899 off Ebay. Did the work myself at a shop I was working at, me and another mechanic did. No way I'd be able to afford a new 5.0 or attempt replacing one with my own cash. Just sayin'.

I ran about 500whp on my 08 before I sold it. It was quick. Quickest car I owned, but it wouldn't hold a candle to a boosted 5.0 nowadays. Crazy how cars become so advanced, it's hard to keep up. If you like your brothers 5.0, a boosted 3v will be just fine for you but you'll get used to the power very quickly and want more.

If you can afford the new 2015 I'd go for it as well, only drawback is there's no telling what the future brings and it may come with a host of it's own problems being a new model year. 3v's, things are kind of set in stone and things are figured out. The 4.6 been around forever. The new 5.0 would be great if you kept it basic bolt on's but for more serious builds, it may require more precision and skill, especially helpful if you know some tuners.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-07-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:32 PM
kanetruck
1st Gear Member

You could always buy a 2014 GT. Lots of rebates and discount. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Whether you go new or build your older is your decision.

If you do decide to build the older one, come up with a plan of where you want to ultimately be with it so you don't end up doing upgrades that later get thrown out. 450 to the wheels is nice and fun and can be done without doing an internal engine work, but if you get the feeling that that number might not be enough then you should plan ahead for it. Figure out what kind of forced induction you want (positive displacement like Whipple or Kenne Bell, centri like vortech or procharger, or turbo). This affects supporting mods like whether a boss intake manifold is going to get tossed out (it won't work with a KB or Whipple), what type of cams you can use (there is a difference between NA, supercharger and turbo cams). But yeah, do the basics & internals first if you think you'll want more than 500 eventually.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If you do stay with your current ride and decide to build. You will be looking at about 10k if you have a good performance shop do it. And a supercharger will run about 6 to 7k add about 850 for install if you don't do it yourself. Very easy to hit 20k with what your talking about. Really it just depends how much u like your car. Always remember you have pay to play. So just b/c you get a built motor you can still blow it if you abuse the shiet out of it
Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Out of those options, I say option 2.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto on still blowing up a forged motor. I know a guy that went through three motors and still blew his last one due to abusing the car and a tune that was too aggressive. Deep pockets I guess lol..
Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
I'm already saving money bro. I got my own accounts that I gain interest on a nice stack of cash and don't touch, plus i'm also pitching in with the fam to buy a house.
I would never mix family and finances, Pitching in to help buy a family house?

Unless there is an ironclad agreement in place that states how/when you get your money back or what the expectation is for your part of the investment, I wouldn't do it.

As far as saving your money vs buying new...that's up to you. I can't see giving a 16 yr old a GT without having them put some of their own money into it otherwise, it may end up wrapped around a telephone pole shortly after they take ownership or worse, they hurt themselves or someone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some advice? Build or wait for 2015?