5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Picked up a new notch!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90nSSMD

I take it your car has seen a good amount of track time
Oh no, it has seen a good amount of time in Wisconsin winters. Severe rot on the tower and passenger side frame rail. It does see the track 2-3 times a year. But worried it won't be coming back one of these times lol.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Oh no, it has seen a good amount of time in Wisconsin winters. Severe rot on the tower and passenger side frame rail. It does see the track 2-3 times a year. But worried it won't be coming back one of these times lol.

That sounds just like my 90 GT. It's a daily (call me crazy lol), but it's been fun. I baby it almost always. Every now and again I'll get on the throttle but nothing excessive.

Salty roads tore my car up this winter (last winter was very warm for whatever reason). The notch is just going to be a garaged weekend and occasional track car. Eventually I'll build something crazy, but for now I'm just looking for stability.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

OP is going to have fun weld repairing those ceramic coated headers..........
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
OP is going to have fun weld repairing those ceramic coated headers..........
Not at all. I have a spare set of BBK Shorty Stainless headers with a BBK O/R H-Pipe that will be going on the car .

Those ceramic headers were just included in with the purchase.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:57 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, been a little bit since I posted any progress. I'm going to use this thread for a "build" thread. Keep track of my progress with both my fox bodies, and of course, build that Notchback!

Took some vacation time off of work to get the shop cleaned up for the car to sit in while I start the project (along with some good old redneck weatherproofing .) I don't have room in my garage where I'm at, nor do I have access to the tools needed for certain jobs (engine pulling for one).

To say this was going to be an easy task.. hah.. oh man. The front of the shop had a small area to pull vehicles in to work. Pretty much every where else was a bit of a "storage" area, where eventually over time things just got thrown there with the idea of organizing.

When something is of low priority, you tend to ignore it.. Not anymore, and not today!

Due to the graphic nature of this/these picture(s), it is advised to NOT do this at home (well, nevermind.. if your shop looks like this, please DO this. You will feel better, trust me).

It all began with:

Slowly over time it was getting cleaner:

Lots of beer runs and lots of pain later:

Oh.. and the following morning we decided we needed to handle the ground area (it being a dirt floor and all). So we took a tin roll from an old pool that wasn't rusted out, and decided to cut 17' strips. We laid it out 9' wide, and covered that with some black matting. The epitome of poor mans weatherproofing, but after a 3 day stint of rain, it amazingly did a great job.

Pushed the car the rest of the way in, and measured from the wall to the full door extension. Came out with 42", and just added an extra 6" for good measure. End result, a saddled pony (with a 4 year old spectator making sure the car is ok .) Decided once she was in I was going to rip out the intake in the white one and try to chase down a serious starting/idling issue I've been having since I got this car. I've done almost everything EXCEPT tearing apart the intake to look at the lifter valley.

Started in slow with just taking off the CAI and inspecting the surrounding area around the TB. Thought to myself that I had to just rip everything apart so I started to it:

Before this picture was taken, when I went to start removing the fuel rails, I inspected the injector harness around the #8 runner. It looked.. loose.. Upon further inspection (sticking my face to it basically), I noticed #8 cylinder was running without an injector.. oh how nice of the previous owner to do the intake and not plug it in.. . There's where my miss was coming from! Not to mention, the harness ground wire was well.. ripped off. Starting issue found? Maybe..

All was ok though, I had a spare harness laying around that I ended up using. Contact cleaned the 10 pins and used a liberal amount of Dielectric Grease.

Finishing touches:

After everything was plugged down, I started adding coolant to see if any leaks were present. Doh.. I forgot to plug the EGR coolant passage. Quick trip to the hardware store for a 3/8" NPT plug and I was good to go. Re-filled.. Oh no.. looks like its coming from the front of the intake this time.. Grabbed a move-able mirror, and saw the thermostat housing leaking. The thermostat had moved (despite being RTV'd) under the gasket, and caused a leak. Pulled that, let it cure for a little bit longer, and put it back after cleaning the surfaces. No more leaks yay! Changed the oil, and yelled fire in the hole. Car burst into life after the injectors primed, with an idle that sounded so mean.. Granted it was because the base timing needed to be set. Set the base timing to 14 degrees, and the car ran like a raped ape. Can't wait to drop this into the Notch while I build something bigger!

Idle Video (with a half-hearted yay because I was completely exhausted):
http://tinypic.com/r/2pr74n5/8

This was a pretty fun trip. First time I had ever done a full intake swap. I'm glad I did because I pretty much fixed every idle/drive-ability problem this engine ever had since I got it, within 2 days time.

Next visit is to start on the Notchback suspension! Stay tuned!

Last edited by 90nSSMD; 05-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I like that shop building you have there.
I need one like it.
I built my car in half of a 2 car garage........
Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
I like that shop building you have there.
I need one like it.
I built my car in half of a 2 car garage........
I have a one and a half car garage where I currently live, which is just being used for storage. No possible chance to get anything in there to do any big work without some solid engineering and thinking, so I feel your pain!

I really had no choice but to nudge my uncle into helping me clean up an area so I can work there, in a closed area, instead of a driveway where I live lol.

Now that I lit a fire in his ***, he wants the whole shop cleaned to setup a machining and welding area. So that only means more male bonding time with lots of beer and lots of swearing
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Great pics, and update. Keep them coming, these are fun to follow.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
90nSSMD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Great pics, and update. Keep them coming, these are fun to follow.
Thanks . The first picture was sadly taken after about 4 hours of cleaning.. it looked much worse over there lol.

I've been trying to remember to take pictures to document everything for a build, but once I get momentum, it's hard to stop for a minute and take a picture. I guess that's the kid in me wanting to see the finished product before it's even started.

Parting some stuff out (hood, wheels, strange struts/shocks, etc) but I'm keeping certain things.

Trying to pay down some bills while building a project. Guy I'm selling the hood to has TW 170 heads that just came back from the machine shop, wants $800 for them. Very tempting...
Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
JBeachstang11
1st Gear Member

Awesome. I'll be following your thread as well. Good deal on the intake/idle issues getting sorted. Injector, who woulda guessed

Yeah those heads would be seriously tempting!

Quick Reply: Picked up a new notch!