5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1995 mustang GT... wont start/will start..ughh!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

Default 1995 mustang GT... wont start/will start..ughh!

Ok so i just bought a 95' mustang GT. This car is beautiful. has a v-2 supercharger kit, saleen body kit...etc

i had to drive it 250 miles back home after the purchase. It ran like a dream.

I have since had a couple no starts. Go to start it and it will turn over but not fire up. try it again after a few and it fires right up, and runs great and strong.

I have also had it just die while driving suddenly and coasted, popped clutch and fires back up and runs fine.

could it have something to do with this alarm hanging under the dash?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...r-my-dash.html
any help appreciated

Last edited by OKIEMUSTANG; 06-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

is it only when the car has recently been turned off and you try to turn it back on that it won't start?

It's most likely the Distributor module (AKA TFI Module) is getting heat-soaked Ford did a massive recall several years ago with 88-95/96 cars/trucks that had random shut downs from this and difficult restarting. I forget what the fix was but some companies offer a relocation kit for the module itself.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pd-dyn...ntV1&year=1995
Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

Originally Posted by Derf00
is it only when the car has recently been turned off and you try to turn it back on that it won't start?

It's most likely the Distributor module (AKA TFI Module) is getting heat-soaked Ford did a massive recall several years ago with 88-95/96 cars/trucks that had random shut downs from this and difficult restarting. I forget what the fix was but some companies offer a relocation kit for the module itself.

No it has done it a couple of times on a cold start. It has also done it while driving. Sometimes it starts right back up sometimes it will start after a few minutes.
Could the key ignition cause this? I know these here models have ignition issues.
When it is running it runs like a champ
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Derf00

tfi's were moved on 94-95 off of the distributor and put in it's own heat sink to resolve this issue, although the still can go bad on 94-95's it's more rare, i'd suspect the stator in the dizzy before a tfi on a 94-95
Old 05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Could definitely be the alarm. If not installed correctly or with loose wiring they will shut the car down. Trace wires and look for loose or improper connections. Or just remove it all. Happened to my dad in an 89 he bought. Would shut off at random times and occasional no starts. He just took out all things pertaining to the alarm.
First step though is to figure out what you don't have when it won't start: fuel air or spark.

Last edited by mongolchuck; 05-22-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mjr46
tfi's were moved on 94-95 off of the distributor and put in it's own heat sink to resolve this issue, although the still can go bad on 94-95's it's more rare, i'd suspect the stator in the dizzy before a tfi on a 94-95
Agreed, as soon as he said it happened cold too I knew it ruled out the TFI.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

ok went a week or so without a single issue. then sunday took it for a drive and it just died 10 minuts into the drive, and took 20 minutes of trying to get it to start again. Later started it up and it drove about 2 minutes and did it again, this time it started after a couple min. Then parked it and tried it again, and it did it again and after 20 minutes i gave up. Come back a few hours later and fired right up... what the heck. what should i be ready to test when it fails the next time?? Kinda wondering if i should buy a new coil?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:10 PM
96GT_Loud_Clean
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me like a loose ground wire probably on the startor or a loose battery connection. Check the battery and make sure the terminals are clean and then make sure the starter is connected and cleaned as well. Maybe an alternator issue to. The dying while driving has me kind of stumped.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:16 PM
OKIEMUSTANG

Originally Posted by 96GT_Loud_Clean
Sounds to me like a loose ground wire probably on the startor or a loose battery connection. Check the battery and make sure the terminals are clean and then make sure the starter is connected and cleaned as well. Maybe an alternator issue to. The dying while driving has me kind of stumped.

ok thanks... IT does crank fine, and runs like a champ when running! Just occasional no start, and/dying while driving. sometimes it starts right back up sometimes may take 20 minutes.

Trying to understand what the starter would have to do with dying? Maybe i am not thinking this thru
Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Leebo

I had this problem on my 66 mustang when through the whole car testing everything and then thought it was vapor lock ( which I think is impossible on a 95) come to find out there was some gunk in the fuel tank that would clog up the fuel line after 10-20 mins some times an hour it would let loose of line and start back up like nothing happened. No pro at troubleshooting but in my case that's were the problem was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 mustang GT... wont start/will start..ughh!