Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

70 Mustang Vert Big Block FE Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 AM
pimp2303
2nd Gear Member

Default 70 Mustang Vert Big Block FE Swap Questions

I know most not a fan of the big blocks in a small block car. Only reason im doing it is because it was a fresh rebuilt motor with about 500miles out of a 68 Galaxy before it was totaled and it was free.

I have been doing a little homework before I am posting this and did use the search function but still left me with a few questions.

1. Since it is a Galaxy FE motor do I need to switch the heads? It currently has stock heads and stock manifolds. I didn't plan on using headers unless I had too.

2. I have been reading about using the engine brackets along with the frame mount brackets and insulators. Do I have to remove the old frame mounts and install those or is everything bolt on.

3. I plan to ditch the transmission behind it and run a AOD behind it(It is being built to handle the torque so it won't be shredded). Has anyone run this swap at all if so how was the fitment and could I use the AOD mount that most mustang places run.

Here are the parts I was able to locate online. Please let me know if this is all I will need to finish the swap. I also have installed the big block suspension under it also.

Engine Mount Kit - $190
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=EMKFE+01

Motor Mount Engine Brackets - $110
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p?T1=6046PR+01

Last edited by pimp2303; 07-08-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Title Change
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello . . unfortunately just fe doesnt help . what size is it . you might need 390 mustang ex manifolds.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
pimp2303
2nd Gear Member

It is a 390.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I just pulled the 302 and put in an FE 428 into my fastback.

Don't mess with headers if you don't have too. I think that a 70 Mustang may bit a tad bit wider and might have a bit more room than my cramped up 67 Fastback. I put some Doug's long tube headers in and they fit and look great but I had problems running my clutch cable correctly. I had to call Sanderson Headers for them to make a set of CJ short tube headers. I would keep the same heads and exhaust manifolds on there, if they're are already there. It will make fitment much much easier.

As for the engine mounts. I went with a pair from Ron Morris, specially made for the FE series motors (332-428). They are adjustable, solid metal and polyurethane bushings. Not sure if you want to shell out $200 for a set though. On the Mustangs, you have the frame mount and the engine mount. I'm not sure if the Galaxy has the same set up.

Quicktime Bell Housings for your weird tranny / motor combinations. They will be able to help you out. I use a Quicktime Bell Housing to mate my FE with a 5 speed TKO-600. I had some clutch / pressure plate / bearing / fork issues but I got them worked out.

Also, stop by the 332-428 FE Ford Forums. It's filled with a bunch of old timer dragster diy type guys. Real stand up people on that forum. They helped me with all of my questions when I was building my FE 428 from a bare block to the menace that it is today.

It's not going to be a walk in the park transplant but I think in the end you will be very pleased. I know that I was.

James
Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

I just saw the link of your mounts. These run $230 ish and is the complete set (frame mount and engine mount). Below is a link to the site and a picture. The black plate goes onto the motor and the stainless steel with the two long bolts goes through your frame.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...tor_mounts.htm

Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 AM
pimp2303
2nd Gear Member

thanks musnicki
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pimp2303
thanks musnicki
those mounts will transfer much more vibration to the car. unless you are doing some racing with a high hp eng, i would never put those in a car.

Last edited by barnett468; 07-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
those mounts will transfer much more vibration to the car. unless you are doing some racing with a high hp eng, i would never put those in a car.
That could explain why my car vibrates...it's not bad but it's noticeable. It's like a little shiver every once in a while.

Do stock mounts have more rubber between motor and frame?

James
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by musnicki
That could explain why my car vibrates...it's not bad but it's noticeable. It's like a little shiver every once in a while.

Do stock mounts have more rubber between motor and frame?

James
hello;

dang, i just created more work for myself, lol.

ok short version. the mounts you have are harder then the oem ones. the harder the material, the more energy/vibration it transfers.

picture this take a 6" thick piece of hard urethane, hold it on your backside and let your old lady kick it as hard as she can.

now, remove the urethane and hold a 6" thick piece of soft comfy foam up there and let her whack ya again.

well which one do you think you would rather use as an insulater?

ok not, sit in your car and hold the throttle to around 1500 rpm or 1/4 throttle for 15 seconds then do the same at around 2500.

if your engine has an on and off rythmic vibration your engine is not properly balanced.

if your engine has a vibration that is constant but gets noticeably worse with more rpm your engine or clutch/flywheel is not properly balanced.

m

Last edited by barnett468; 07-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Its not rhythmic. I think that It's tied to my two four barrel carbs that are not in sync or fully calibrated.

Quick Reply: 70 Mustang Vert Big Block FE Swap Questions