4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New clutch nightmare. Desperate input needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM
razor9546

Default New clutch nightmare. Desperate input needed.

Thanks for reading my thread. I'm going to explain in much detail as I possibly can. I purchased a clutch from americanmuscle along with an oem throw out and pilot bearing. Brought it to a local shop to have them install it and they called me and told me I received the wrong clutch, so I had to purchased ANOTHER clutch from americanmuscle and have it order nighted because my car was already ripped apart in the shop (still waiting on that refund americanmuscle). The final outcome was an Exedy Mach 400 clutch kit. The stock flywheel was also resurfaced. Once I got the car back I noticed as soon as I started it up the car had a very bad vibrations. After 2.5k rpms the car would vibrate along with the clutch pedal, even sitting from a dead stop revving the car it still vibrates badly. I drove about 150 miles and nothing changed I went back to my mechanic and he told me "you're pressure plate is out of balance that's what you get for ordering **** online" and that's all that was said. He was just assuming that was the issue but im stuck on thinking something was installed incorrectly. I called americanmuscle to see what they had to say and they said get in contact with exedy, I have called exedy every day for the past week left voice mails and sent emails and have had no response, so I reported them to the BBB. Anyway a few days ago, I'm about 350 miles into the new clutch and nothing has changed but now the throw out bearing has started to make noises. It makes noises just normal driving and if I slightly rest my foot on the pedal the noise is incredibly loud. I can also hear some rattling as I'm leaving first gear. None of these problems have ever occurred before this clutch install. Everyone has been telling me im basically screwed and there is nothing I can do. I don't have the skills nor tools to drop the tranny myself and look at it. If anyone can give some.i put on if this sounds like a bad install or not please chime in. I plan on visiting this shop sometime this week flipping out on this guy. I don't get how the pressure plate can be bad or unbalanced and now the throw out bearing Is making noise and there is some rattling sound now. This is just a nightmare. I got the wrong clutch sent to me first off, got a ticket on the way home from the shop for some ********, exedy won't answer me, americanmuscle wont refund me. Unbelievable.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If it had been me I would have lit that mechanics A$$ up the first time he told me " that's what you get for ordering **** online " .

He screwed something up when he installed it or the fly wheel was not properly turned down. The Exedy Mach 400 is a wonderful clutch , as a matter of fact that's what I am running on my 2000 gt , it is smooth and no vibrations , chattering or noise at all. Late model restoration , American muscle , and Steeda are just a few companies that carry those off the top of my head. These are not some fly by night ebay junk.

It sounds to me like the mechanic knows full well he took a shortcut someplace, and is not wanting to deal with it. A reputable mechanic would gladly offer to rectify the situation for you. To simply say that's what you get is down right insulting and shady. Light his a$$ up , talk to his supervisor or who ever is in charge of the shop. If they don't want to make it right for you threaten to take them to court , telling them that if it destroys your transmission , the cost is about 1500 bucks for a new one.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razor9546
Thanks for reading my thread. I'm going to explain in much detail as I possibly can. I purchased a clutch from americanmuscle along with an oem throw out and pilot bearing. Brought it to a local shop to have them install it and they called me and told me I received the wrong clutch, so I had to purchased ANOTHER clutch from americanmuscle and have it order nighted because my car was already ripped apart in the shop (still waiting on that refund americanmuscle). The final outcome was an Exedy Mach 400 clutch kit. The stock flywheel was also resurfaced. Once I got the car back I noticed as soon as I started it up the car had a very bad vibrations. After 2.5k rpms the car would vibrate along with the clutch pedal, even sitting from a dead stop revving the car it still vibrates badly. I drove about 150 miles and nothing changed I went back to my mechanic and he told me "you're pressure plate is out of balance that's what you get for ordering **** online" and that's all that was said. He was just assuming that was the issue but im stuck on thinking something was installed incorrectly. I called americanmuscle to see what they had to say and they said get in contact with exedy, I have called exedy every day for the past week left voice mails and sent emails and have had no response, so I reported them to the BBB. Anyway a few days ago, I'm about 350 miles into the new clutch and nothing has changed but now the throw out bearing has started to make noises. It makes noises just normal driving and if I slightly rest my foot on the pedal the noise is incredibly loud. I can also hear some rattling as I'm leaving first gear. None of these problems have ever occurred before this clutch install. Everyone has been telling me im basically screwed and there is nothing I can do. I don't have the skills nor tools to drop the tranny myself and look at it. If anyone can give some.i put on if this sounds like a bad install or not please chime in. I plan on visiting this shop sometime this week flipping out on this guy. I don't get how the pressure plate can be bad or unbalanced and now the throw out bearing Is making noise and there is some rattling sound now. This is just a nightmare. I got the wrong clutch sent to me first off, got a ticket on the way home from the shop for some ********, exedy won't answer me, americanmuscle wont refund me. Unbelievable.
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble here but I wanted to see if I could have our customer service manager shoot you a call about this because a few things aren't adding up on my end! Please shoot me a PM with your order number and so I can have someone call today to get a better idea of what's going on? We' typically have claims go directly through Exedy at their request and I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting a response from them. If need be we're more than happy to intervene on your behalf to get the ball rolling.

Shoot me a PM either here, or on AllFordMustang and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Alex
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

PM Responded!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

When they resurfaced the flywheel they may not have bothered to check the balance... Flywheels can be balanced (like tires). If the flywheel is out of balance, like a tire, you will get vibrations at specific RPM's.

The shop you went to is ****. They took a shortcut or shortcuts and now they don't want to resolve the issue. Get a second opinion then go back to the first shop to let them know what was found. If they are still unwilling to fix it. Take them to small claims court after you get the issue resolved by the other shop. That way you have proof of the first shops incompetence and unwillingness to fix a problem they caused.

You will be out two installs for a while but you can make a claim to refund the labor AND your time/effort (More $) in taking the **** shop to court.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

OP-Replied to your PM and we'll have a manager reach out to you today!

Alex