Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

DIff shot, dealer will not warranty... Help!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
dkarthik

Default DIff shot, dealer will not warranty... Help!

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 GT track pack and about 10 days ago, I bought and installed steeda sport springs, Koni Yellow dampers and a Fays2 watts link. When I was under the car, I noticed a leak from the front of the diff, thinking it was the pinion seal, I assumed it would be a simple fix and proceeded with the job at hand. I garaged the car to not damage the diff right after the install.

Last thursday, I took it in to the dealership to have it fixed, this morning the service advisor calls and tells me there is bearing noise from the diff and that because the "aftermarket parts" lowered the ride height (1.2" really??) the pinion angle change caused abnormal wear in the bearing, and so he wont fix it under warranty and I'm looking at a $2000 bill!

I know the claim is totally bogus and it should be fixed under warranty, no questions asked. even if the condition was not pre existing, 1.2" drop can be caused by loading 2 people in the back of the car. What do I do?? my car is completely stock except for the listed mods and a borla axle back.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Take it to another dealer.

Another thought is to set it back to stock (providing you have the parts from 10 days ago). You'll spend 1/2 a day under the car (twice) but may save you $2000. Hell, even having the labor done for you should only run around $300-$500 - still a net savings.

Going through the fight of making them prove the burden of mods caused the issue will likely not be worth it. I think you have an uphill battle regardles. As one who has a similar suspension setup in the mail, I hope you get it.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM
dkarthik

yeah I have all the parts, II'll keep that as my last option. Thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

They have a valid point, lowering the car will change the pinion angle. A change in pinion angle could create a leak from changing the stress on the pinion seal.

Problem is, you saw the leak and ignored it thus giving the dealer a plausible cause of the failure... Put it back to stock and take it to another dealer. I hope the dealer you took it to didn't put it into their Oasis system. If they did, their comments will be conveyed to the new dealership who may also deny the warranty work.

It doesn't matter that the angle can be that far off when you load people in the car, that would be with OEM parts. You changed the ride height permanently with non OEM type parts... Right or wrong, it is what it is. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM
dkarthik

I don't have enough posts to PM yet, I've seen a ford service rep help out on the forum, can he/she tell me if I have a valid claim or I will have to pay for it? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
They have a valid point, lowering the car will change the pinion angle. A change in pinion angle could create a leak from changing the stress on the pinion seal.

Problem is, you saw the leak and ignored it thus giving the dealer a plausible cause of the failure... Put it back to stock and take it to another dealer. I hope the dealer you took it to didn't put it into their Oasis system. If they did, their comments will be conveyed to the new dealership who may also deny the warranty work.

It doesn't matter that the angle can be that far off when you load people in the car, that would be with OEM parts. You changed the ride height permanently with non OEM type parts... Right or wrong, it is what it is. Good luck!
This post is spot on. You changed the pinion angle when you lowered it and now you may be SOL unfortunately.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dkarthik
I don't have enough posts to PM yet, I've seen a ford service rep help out on the forum, can he/she tell me if I have a valid claim or I will have to pay for it? Thanks.
You can try to contact them but they will probably give you a similar answer. Non oem parts could be to blame for the failure (in the dealer/Ford eyes). It doesn't matter that the leak was there before you started to replace the OEM parts with Non-OEM parts. They didn't see the leak before with the OEM parts still installed. Dealerships can only go with what's presented - A non OEM parted car showing a failure that could be attributed to the non oem parts.

No prior history to show otherwise, other than this post which was made after the dealer denied your claim.... see where I'm going with this?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 PM
dkarthik

Yeah, I realize that I screwed up, Like I said, I didn't think it was going to be a 2000$ rear end rebuild, even if the pinion seal is not covered under warranty it would have been a 100 to 150$ job. FML i guess... Yeah I do have the receipts for the parts I bought less than a month ago, if that would help prove I haven't driven thousands of miles with it.

Isn't the boss 302 lower that the stock GT by about 1"?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Isn't it a known issue with these cars that the diffs leak? I checked mine when I read about it and sure as **** there was oil on my diff. Sounds like you have a bogus service manager who needs to check the service bulletins.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdback19
Isn't it a known issue with these cars that the diffs leak? I checked mine when I read about it and sure as **** there was oil on my diff. Sounds like you have a bogus service manager who needs to check the service bulletins.
Middle of last year, my pinion seal was leaking and replaced in a couple hours under warranty. I think the difference is, because of the modifications he has, he changed the angle of the differential which gave ford/dealer more then enough wiggle room to say, " Well, if you didn't add that there lowering kit, the angle wouldn't of changed an the seal wouldn't of leak / bearing noise wouldn't of happened."

Regardless if we know the pinion seals sucks, should've had it replaced prior to modding the suspension, especially if it was noticed before hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIff shot, dealer will not warranty... Help!