Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Basic Mods for your 05/06 GT

The service manager at the dealer I bought the car said the K&N was ok because K&N will help back your warranty. If you add a tune, remove it before you take it in for warranty repair.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:28 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I have been told that when you tune your car it puts a "flash" date on the computer. If you put the stock tune back on your car then the dealer can see that you have done something to your car because the "flash" date will be different than the original. For this reason I have not yet tuned my car.
Can anyone confirm?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Antenna Delete How to
Old 04-23-2006, 02:38 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangPilot

I have been told that when you tune your car it puts a "flash" date on the computer. If you put the stock tune back on your car then the dealer can see that you have done something to your car because the "flash" date will be different than the original. For this reason I have not yet tuned my car.
Can anyone confirm?
No time stamp, the only thing that the dealer will see is that the history is cleared, like the battery was disconnected for a while.
these computers have no external time /date stamps all timing is internal only.

I reflashed mine before i took it in for service on a CEL code, they called me asking if the battery died because the history was gone. I told then I disconnected the battery to clear the Check engine light to see if it was a fluke, they just said ok.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM
05GTStang
1st Gear Member

I just bought my SCT X-Cal2 tuner w/3 tunes and have one question. I installed the K&N CAI and this wasn't listed in the choices of MAFs. So I chose the C&L CAI and went to drive my car and as soon as I punched the gas the car hesitated and coughed and then I received a "Fail Safe Engine Mode" message in the LCD. So I went back and reset it to "Stock Airbox" and it runs fine now. My question is should their be any other adjustments I should do to get better performance? Like add anything to the WOT setting? It was recommended to add 5% to the WOT but I was not told which way to add (Leaner/Richer)? Any advise is greately appreciated.

BTW, I am currently running her on the 87 Octane tune.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35578/CC03A6E9F7954FF7AF909AE24EC4BBAB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Put it back to stock, the K&N Aircharger's MAF is the same size as the Stock MAF. thats why K&N states not Tune Required.

I think a Dyno tune did better for me with the K&N Air charger over the canned tune.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
05GTStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

Put it back to stock, the K&N Aircharger's MAF is the same size as the Stock MAF. thats why K&N states not Tune Required.

I think a Dyno tune did better for me with the K&N Air charger over the canned tune.
When you had the dyno tune, did they add anything to the WOT to help performance?

[IMG]local://upfiles/35578/16E30B847AA24374809B943EBB31E75A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
cwall583
1st Gear Member

As a newer member and as you can tell one that has not taken the time to post photos of my GT, I did want to relate some good experiences with basic mods.

Some thought on baick mods.

The Predator tuner was a a great aquisition. I have had mt GT since November of '04 and waited for options to hit the market and prices to come down (not much luck there) but I digress. The predator has been great, I've tried the 87 and 91 performance tunes so far.

I just added the Airaid CAI and retuned to the 87 Octane Perfomance tune (gas prices played a role there) to check out the performance. That combination made a noticeable difference in throttle response and it sounds great. I know many here have used the C&L CAI and retuned for that mod, but I tried the Airaid system on the recommendation of a friend at a local shop here, and I really like it. Installation was a breeze the design is solid. I can removed the MVT restrictor and retune if I choose to later. I like having the option.

I have aslo done the aluminum rear windo louvers (from MRT) and the side window louvers. Had the side louvers painted but kept the satin black on the rear. The hinged rear window louvers are easy to install and the hinged design makes them easy to handle when detailing.

But my first mod was custom cut side stripes saying MUSTANG GT followed by wheels and tires. Stayed with 17 inch but went with wider Cobra wheels and tires. Going for that chrome retro mag look. I also added sequential turn signals, a blackout panel on the back between the taillights, and black SVT tail light trim, and Viper Alarm System.

So I guess it all depends on what you are most interested in. I like things I can do myself, and easily. To date I have never had any touble with any of the mods I have done and I am thinking about what will be next!

It's not just a car!!

cwall583

Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

cwall583 sounds like a nice car and you have had plenty of time so get on it and lets see some pic's.
Have you tryed the 93 tune out yet I thought it felt alot better then the other 2 at clearing up some throttle lag. (Auto)

I got mine about the same time 10/20/04 and the mods went like this.

1. C&L CAI and Preditor <--would love to trade that for a SCT2
2. Steeda UDP
3. Mrt-Direct back and side louvers
4. Borla catbacks & Steeda 1.5' drop springs
5. Centerline Rims and Rubber
6. Short antenna
7. Steeda strut tower brace
8. Hood Struts <-- So many people want to look under the hood I was just waiting for the stupid prop to fall and cut someone's hand off lol

I would love to find a good ducktail spoiler that will cover the factory hole in trunk lid and a functional hood scoop that I like and I think i would be happy.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Here is a Shaker Hood kit for your car!

http://www.mustangtuning.com/2005-gt-shaker-system.html

Quick Reply: Basic Mods for your 05-09 GT